<VV> tele column?

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 20 20:42:07 EST 2010

Depends on which style you're talking about. There was the '65-6 style, and
the '67-9 style. Nothing above the pot joint coupler is interchangable
between the two.

The number produced for each year is as follows (listed by year, number
built, and percent of run): '65 - 12,569 (5.30%) / '66 - 2248 (2.17%) / '67
- 299 (1.10%) / '68 - 199 (0.01%) / '69 - 299 (0.05%). So you can see that
it is very rare, particularly the '67-9 style.

And THAT is why I get upset every time I hear of a Corvair column falling
into the hands of the Corvette vultures. Any more, I'm to the point where I
don't consider anyone who would willingly sell one to a Corvette vulture to
be a true Corvair person. Sure, I understand the economics in it. But to
me, it's become high treason.

A couple of years ago, I had a '67 column sitting in my shop when a
Corvette friend dropped by. He spotted the column, and from that point on
he was slobbering all over himself after that column. He tried everything
he could think of to offer, starting with an outrageous amount of money for
it. I turned him down flat, and continued not to budge no matter what he
offered. He eventually offered to trade me an entire '66 Monza 4door,
w/140, automatic, air, bumper guards, door guards, factory tutone, and
more. I again turned him down flat. He sat on it for a good six months
before giving up, and outright sold me the car for cheap. I eventually
traded the column to a friend who needed it for his '67 Monza coupe. He and
his wife are a "Mutt & Jeff" couple, so the column was DEFINATELY needed.
But more importantly, it went into a CORVAIR, where it belonged.

So never, never, NEVER sell a Corvair tele column to a Corvette vulture.
What they do with it is chop it up, use the few pieces they want, and pitch
the rest away. All it does is make the tele column in a Corvair even more
rare than the production percentages and numbers indicate. My own thoughts
are that there are probably less than 1000 '65-6 cars with it in, and fewer
than 55 '67-9 cars with them. Of course, those are just my guestimations,
as it's really impossible to find a true figure. I figure that with the
Corvette vultures decimating our available parts supply, the severe
attrition rate they have inflicted on us has cut tele column survival to
probably half of the rate for the Corvair cars themselves.

-Mark

mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/