<VV> Gages Cluster conversion from Monza to Corsa

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Feb 21 20:51:00 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/21/2010 12:05:05 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Kincaidllc at verizon.net writes:

Looking  for advise and hopefully written directions on how to convert a
Corvair  Monza instrument cluster to a Corsa.

I bought a used Corsa  cluster yesterday at a swap meet but as I look closer
I do see some  challenges.

1.       My car is an automatic so this  cluster was designed for a standard
shift - thus no cut out for dash  shifter

Another option is to wait for the floor shift kit that will come out soon
(since are not registering the car in New Jersey (don't ask). That would
eliminate the need to butcher up - I mean modify - the Corsa Dash.

2.       The speedometer --- do I use my  old or do I have to use new. I
would like to keep over mileage original if  possible

All speedos are calibrated alike - They will be equally waay off! If you
are handy, you can disassemble the Corsa speedo and reset the odometer to
match  your mileage. Before you do all that work, make sure the speedo and Odo
are  operational.

3.       What do I have to do to  connect the other gages such as tach, oil,
etc.

As JR mentioned, you will need to run a few more wires from the engine
compartment. The oil pressure warning light hook-up is about the same. I
recall some differences in the actual wire(s) from the harness to the sending
unit and the temp switch on the right-hand cylinder head.

The feed from the temperature gage sender (thermister) exits from the
driver's side head through a grommeted hole in the heater duct. That is where it
 plugs into the Corsa auxiliary harness. To install the sending unit
(thermister) - which you will need - you will need an adapter - I think  Clarks
carries them. The thermister uses a 3/8-24 (fine) thread. The 95/110  heads
were threaded for a 3/8" coarse thread (the left side heads is usually  bare,
the right side head has a temperature switch).

If you have done this in the past I, would you do it  again?

I have converted a few 4-speed cars to Corsa dashes - But I  haven't used
the Corsa dash with a PG.

Don't give up. The dash is a cool addition.

Thanks

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette