<VV> Car Tents

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Feb 21 21:25:30 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/21/2010 6:08:05 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
lechevrier at earthlink.net writes:

Anyway,  they are good for about ten years service life with the original
fabric,  work well in moderate winds (up to 50 mph) if they are
appropriately  anchored, they make good kites if they aren't, and make
good tents for  those extended elk hunting and fishing camps,  also
available in 12'  x 24' at some locations.  The eight leg models are far
superior to  the cheapo six leg versions, and run about $150 - $200 when
they are "in  season" at CostCo, including sides.  go too cheap and they
won't  last, too spendy and you are giving away your money.

Bill  Strickland

I have one of the eight-leg Costco ones. I never installed the  sides. It
has never seen snow (Snow is that white stuff, right?) But it has  seen rain
and wind here - and lots of direct California sun. The failure mode  for me
- after about six or seven years - was an abrasion where it  contacted the
support pipes. (small water leaks ensued) I was able to  replace just the
cover, purchased from some company in Southern  California and it fit
perfectly. When I installed it, I added some sheets of  foam rubber at most of the
contact points. It should last even longer this  time.

Also - I figured out why Bills pair finally failed - He was two  tents!

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette