<VV> Generator nut

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 22 04:53:11 EST 2010

>I'm disassembling a '62 generator for cleaning and painting, but can't
>remove the pulley nut. Is the shaft nut right or left hand thread ?

Jim --

Originally the generators are reverse threaded, but this is the question
we need to ask of you -- is it a righty or a lefty?  Meaning, is it an
original Corvair armature, or has the generator ever been repaired by
replacing the armature with a non-Corvair unit, which is not reverse
threaded. You have to look at the exposed threads carefully -- while the
nut is a hardened steel, the shaft isn't, and it is easy to strip the
threads, meaning then that you too could then be looking for a
replacement armature.

Or, horrors, it could already be stripped, and the nut was just jammed
back on until it held, and now doesn't want to turn either direction
...   well, it *is* a possibility ...