<VV> tele column?

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Feb 22 16:54:01 EST 2010

Bob has it right. No veiled threat intended. I expected his comment was to
start discussion, and I added to it.

This is a difficult issue, with no "right" answer for all applications.

If a telescopic column is sold and used in a Corvette, then parts are
scrapped that would be needed to be found to return the column to Corvair
use. I shall not say anything bad about Corvette owners, there are several
active on this list, and in a small way they are just as crazy as we are!
ggg It is just that adapting the Corvair column to Corvette use in all
probability removes it from future use in a Corvair at any price.

Greed would enter if the column was just advertised to the Corvette crowd
to maximize selling price. An eBay auction listing it as the Corvair part
it is, well, I can find no fault in that. It is a global economy out there
to sell to. If I was out of work and needed money, or in business and my
profit fed my family, then letting the market set the price for the unit
seems very fair. Business or hobby? This is a gray area for many of us. If
I was just selling surplus parts to finance more hobby toys, then a lower
price between friends should mean a better deal for me later, hence the
"what goes around comes around" comment. Once we leave the circle of
friends, then we enter the global economy and are not dealing with only
"Real Corvair People". Not wrong, just different rules of engagement.

We (the collective WE) have left the era of cheap Corvairs and parts. It
was inevitable. However they are still very affordable compared to the
other collector cars, even with Corvette priced columns. Sure it would be
out of place on a $2000 daily driver, but on a $15000 parade/show car? No
problem.

So, sell your excess columns to friendly Corvair people. But don't be upset
when the friend needs money and gets to sell it at market rates. As the
other Bob says, you cannot control the part after you sell it. I guess
seller beware in this case.

Frank DuVal