<VV> Fwd: Old Bumper cars

ScottyGrover at aol.com ScottyGrover at aol.com
Wed Feb 24 00:23:30 EST 2010

____________________________________
 From: fierocruiser at yahoo.com
To: rbenanddeb at aol.com
Sent: 2/23/2010  9:12:14 P.M. Pacific Standard Time
Subj: Old Bumper cars

These are so  cute I'd love to own one myself!!! (and they are all from
Calif., from  the old Long Beach Pike!)

What do you do  with old Bumper Cars?

It's easy for a gear-head to be  discouraged about the state of the world,
especially in times of Carpocalypse and Cash for  Clunkers. But occasionally
a bright light of awesome renews the spirit.  Road-legal bumper cars do
just that.
Yes, you read that right,  these little beasties are street legal. They run
on either Kawasaki or  Honda motorcycle  engines and co-opt vintage bumper
car bodies into the most awesome form of  mini-car we've seen in too long.
There's seven of these little monsters  floating around California, and
they're all the creation of one  man, Tom Wright, a  builder in the outskirts of
San Diego who figured the leftovers of the Long  Beach Pike amusement park
in California needed a more dignified end than  the trash heap.
They were originally powered by  Harley motors but they rattled like hell
and Tom replaced them with  Honda or Kawasaki 750's and a couple have been
measured as capable of  160 MPH, which is terrifyingly fast in machines with
such a short  wheelbase. Doesn't mean we would totally rock one should the
opportunity  present itself. In fact, we now have only one burning desire, to
see  these things running a go kart  track.