<VV> towing (my 2 cents) corvair or whatever..

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Feb 25 01:09:47 EST 2010

Yes, but the insurance company doesn't give me maps! Or make
reservations... Or get me discounts on tickets, hotels and other things
I rarely use.

Being a AAA towing company/repair shop/insurance preferred shop for
collision work, is a decision for the shop owner to make. Lots of parts
to balance here. Cost vs profit, etc.

For the consumer, AAA gives peace of mind. I never had it until I was
married ( a mind?), and Debbie already was a member. Even though my dad
was a member since time began. BTW, did you know after paying for AAA
for 50 years you never get another renewal charge? It renews every year
for free. I bet not many people ever find that out.

Anyway, now that I have AAA it has come in handy several times. AAA Plus
here, since on any day one or more of the cars can be up to 100 miles
from home. However, if I add the years we have paid vs the price of the
tows we had at market rates, it would have been cheaper to pay the tows
(I think). But, having a 1-800 number to call instead of finding a local
guy to drag the car home saves some time. The most recent tow would have
been over $200 at market rates.

Also no money out of pocket at the time of tow, so no need to pay the
driver and argue with the insurance company to get reimbursed later. AAA
covers any car you may be in, even as a passenger, whereas insurance
will only pay for a car that has the towing rider on it.

But, insurance towing rider is only about $5 a year per car. So if you
have one car, that is a great savings. If you have 16 cars insured, well
AAA is not much more.

Of course there are horror stories using AAA service, just not
experienced by my family.

As with most things, you pays your money and takes your chances, no one
size fits all here.

Frank DuVal