<VV> protecting Corvair worth, was: arrogance WAS telecolumn

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 26 09:30:26 EST 2010

There is where you are flat out wrong. Adding accessories to a Corvair
never hurts the value of it (unless the job is totally botched, of course),
because the Corvair hobby is not as snooty as that segment of the Corvette
hobby who insist that a car HAS to be in as-built condition. That segment
is where I and virtually all other Corvair owners and enthusiasts part ways
with those snobs.

Fact is, adding (factory/dealer-installed) accessories only INCREASES the
value of Corvairs. So adding a tele column to a Corvair that didn't have it
from the factory adds value to the car.

Second, changing steering columns is not rocket science. It's as easy as
unbolting the old and bolting in the new. I've done it many times. No
safety issues are involved whatsoever, when done with the right parts. And
since there is so virtually NO variation in Corvair steering columns, as
long as the parts are interchangable, getting the "wrong" part or
installing something wrong is all but impossible.

The problem is that Corvette people, by buying up Corvair parts, are
denying Corvair people the ability to upgrade their cars and improve the
value of them. And it's not like Corvettes are hurting for the inability to
create reproduction  parts. Lord knows, they have far better abilities for
getting parts reproduced (spelled MONEY) than we do. So why don't they just
let loose of some of their moldy money and get the parts they need
reproduced, instead of robbing their poorer cousins?

-Mark

Converting a Corvair to telecolumn, not originally equipped, may decrease
the value of the Corvair because it is not original and may not have been
safely installed. Be aware that exchanging columns is a complex conversion
and your life is on the line where people take shortcuts to obtaining the
correct hardware.