<VV> protecting Corvair worth

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Fri Feb 26 15:31:12 EST 2010

Like I said, I mostly agree.  However, when I went to sell my Spyder
-- which sold for 2-3 times more than anyone in Corsa thought it
would sell for -- I was asked over and over by prospects if it was a
"numbers matching" car -- this was very important to the
prospects.  I had to explain that Corvairs have no such concept, all
you can do is check the date of mfg of the numbered parts and be
certain they fall in the same time period.  Which they did on my
Spyder.  They would ask if it it was "all original" and I would have
to explain about radial tires, Pertronix, and dealer options, and the
limited knowledge of factory options -- all of which were correct on
my Spyder.  The end result is that I got a lot more money for the car
due to it's originality.

In the Vette world the part's car would be "rebuilt" so that it had
the original numbers matching parts and that radio -- provided you
had all the right paperwork to be worth doing that.  No matter that
almost every non-numbered part would be a replacement part or
otherwise not original.  The value of the car would make such a
restoration worth it.  Not so with Corvairs.  But, as times change,
more original cars are going to be worth more.  We may not like it,
nor like the higher prices (and I got a lot of hate mail about the
price I sold the Spyder for) -- but that is reality.

In the case of your radio, of course I would save it.  Likely I'd
pull the wiring harness and mate it seamlessly ... but each person
has to make their own choice.  It is kind of fun to try and stay
original.  I don't do it for snobbery, it is actually fun.  Getting
just the right color oil filter, just the right ... well, you know!

Eric

At 01:06 PM 2/26/2010, you wrote:
>I'm sure everyone has some kind of opinion on this subject. Here's my take
>on it.
>
>First, Corvettes benefit from having the (in)famous gas tank sheet, which
>tells what the car had on it from the factory. They also have (as I
>understand) other information sources, all of which makes most Corvettes
>easy to tell what an individual car had from the factory.
>
>By contrast, all the factory records on US-destined Corvairs are gone. The
>only thing even resembling a list of options is the body tag info, which
>Kent Sullivan and others have been working on for years. Even then, the
>'68-9 cars don't have that info on them. Add to this the fact that you can
>get new body tags made to order via vendors who regularly advertise in
>places like Hemmings. The net result is that only partial information is
>decipherable, and even then, that isn't a sure thing. This is one reason
>why I (and most of the Corvair world) don't get off on this kind of thing.
>
>Second, consider this. What if you had a strictly parts car with a
>super-rare option. For an example, I'm going to use my own '67 Monza 4door
>and the stereo tape system. There were only 125 cars built with this
>option, just about the rarest option for that year. I have two identical
>cars, one a parts car (actually my project car, but that's a long story in
>itself) and the other a very original, low miles car. The parts car has the
>tape player in it, the original doesn't. I can do one of three things:
>
>Senerio 1) Scrap the parts car WITH the tape player, because  there are
>simply no other cars around that need their tape players replaced or
>upgraded. Thus the tape system is junk.
>
>Senerio 2) Salvage the tape system, and sit it on the shelf, but for the
>same reasons as #1.
>
>Senerio 3) Install it in my original car, in the same manner (as best I can
>duplicate) as the factory did.
>
>Note that in #1 not only is the tape player system is lost, but the method
>of installation AND its usage as a functioning 3-D example of this system
>is lost as well.
>
>In #2, the system is saved, only to become a dust collector on a shelf. The
>method of installation and its usage is still lost.
>
>Only in #3 is not only the system saved, but also its installation AND
>usage as well.
>
>Now consider who is really preserving automotive history. The Corvette guy,
>who can only do #1 or #2, or me, who does #3.
>
>To me, it's obvious. The first two actually DESTROY history. So THAT is why
>I chose to do #3 on my original car. It and the parts car have the same
>interior color and body style, so I was able to move the speakers and rear
>riser without even applying a single drop of paint. I will point out that
>even though my car has the original window sticker still on it, I have
>salvaged the tape system BECAUSE it's a super-rare option, and it is as the
> [...]

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

Fun personal pictures:  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and
more.  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

However, most new pictures are on Facebook.