<VV> Something good about the Corvair hobby

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Fri Feb 26 17:30:57 EST 2010

At least we won't have the problem that has surfaced more
than once in the high end of the car collecting hobby. I'm
referring to a scenario where more than one vehicle claims
the same identification number. Incredible as it sounds,
some "folks" think they can build up a car from bits and
pieces and somehow get a serial number on it that the
original manufacturer never intended for it to have.
Recently the second 1953 Corvette #029 showed up. The
person owning the real #029 was miffed! Keep in mind that
only 300 '53 Vettes were produced. At least that is the
number that GM says. And there wouldn't be a gas tank
sticker to refer to since that didn't come into play until
the 1967 model year. A while back there was a story about
a Jaguar racer (perhaps a "D" Type) that was run hard and
rebuilt several times in it's life. Some enterprising soul
took the damaged cylinder head from the original engine
and built a complete new car around it. And used the
original engine number to register the parts collection as
a vehicle. Around the same time a third party took the
original mangled frame from an off-course shunt and
repaired it and built a third Jaguar racer around it and
used the same ID number. Talk about confusion!

While I've joked about building up a V8 powered 1960 sedan
with the VIN plate 100327 and it might be fun to try to
duplicate the missing 1969 Olympic Gold Monza coupe #6000,
it would be wrong and definitely illegal. Since these
crazy ideas come up only when there is alcoholic beverage
involved (yes, even Cavemen have been known to have "a
beer") they are best left on the tavern floor. Even if
someone did build a CloneVair is there any real money in
it? I don't think so. Stick with fake Jags or fake Vettes
or whatever floats your boat but leave us Corvair guys
alone! - Pete