<VV> stock 140 hp engine to dyno

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Fri Feb 26 23:44:52 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/26/2010 7:07:51 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
cliff at tibweb.com writes:

Most of  the racers and performance enthusiasts that will be at the CPW,
begin with  a 140. To be sure they are highly modified and some have the big
bore setup  and much more.  I think the purpose of the bone stock 140 is to
give  the racers a baseline for comparison.  And since this is a drive  on
dyno, the numbers Chevrolet produced back in the sixties are  largely
meaningless.  The fact of the matter is it would probably be  nice to have a
couple of stock 140's so as to get an average and then go  from there with
the big boys.

Hi Cliff,
Well, I see your point. But the Chev 140 engine test is official data
professionally taken under controlled conditions. Chassis dynos are known to be
subject to many more uncontrolled variables than the Chev engine dynos
were.  Heck, why don't you just take the Chev data and subtract 20% for
drivetrain  losses for your baseline. That will be close enough and about as
accurate as  doing an engine test. We already know a lot about the 140 hp engine.
But what  will a tired stock 140 test tell you? If you freshen the test
engine, what do  you do and where do you stop?

 What we don't know about are the engines I previously mentioned. No  data
exists on these as far as I know. If you are bound to test "stock" engines,
then please consider these.

Regards,
Bob Helt