<VV> House Keeping

Dennis Pleau dpleau at wavecable.com
Fri Feb 26 23:04:46 EST 2010

We've had a large increase recently in messages outside of our guidelines
and being held for the moderators to deal with.  The 5:00 pm Pacific time
tonight email to the moderators had eight posts held; two were spam, four
were too large because of HTML, one had a VV digest subject line, and the
last was from a non subscribed email address.  I approved six of them.

One of the things that hold posts for the moderators are digest members not
changing the subject,  A subject like "VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 61, Issue
102"  gets held for the moderators.  We are supposed to reject al those
posts.  Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't.  I would like everyone on the
digest to put a proper subject line when replying and then the moderators
don't have to make a decision.

Another problem is messages loaded up with HTML text.  We have a limit of 8k
bites before the HTML is stripped.  8k of plain text is a lot, 8k of HTML
isn't very much.  The moderators will read all of over 8k posts and if they
fall within the VV rules approve them.  If they are not 100% within the
rules, they may go to the bit bucket.  If you want to stretch the rules,
send it in plain text and VV-help doesn't have to approve your message.  We
may take action after!

If you have more than one  email addresses, make sure you send messages to
the VVs only from the ones that are subscribed.  If the message comes from
an email address that isn't subscribed, it gets held and reviewed by a
member of VV-help.  I have two email addresses subscribed which I can send
mail from, this address and my Blackberry.  I only receive mail at this
address because mail comes in at every hour of the day or night and the BB
wakes me up every time an email comes in.

If you make an attachment, your email will be held for a moderator to
approve.  While the moderators can't see your attachment, we all know the
pattern and will approve them.

The VV-help get informed about held post at 5:00 and 11:00 am & pm pacific
time, so don't expect any post outside of the guidelines to be show up, get
rejected or sent to the bit bucket , between these times.  Actually I
usually get on the computer a little after 6:00 am PT and often deal with
the overnight posts which I was notified in the 5:00 am.

Dennis Pleau

CORSA Virtual Vairs Chairman

Please visit my Photo-Blog; http://viewsofyolocounty.blogspot.com/