<VV> Corvette build sheet & other musings

craig nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Fri Feb 26 22:48:35 EST 2010

Just to set the record straight, Corvettes only had build sheets from the
'67 model year up. Prior to '67, the only original option evidence is found
on the ECLs (Exception Code Letters) found on the trim tag. This is similar
to our situation with the trim tag options. The only way an option shows up
there is when there' s a difference in the way the body is built during the
"body build" phase.  Corvette owners can add options to their heart's
content as long as it's not something that would have a different ECL on the
trim tag.  65-6 Tele columns fall into this category.

It seems that older Corvettes (say pre '74) have almost all moved into the
NCRS restoration mode.  Newer Corvettes (Say '84-up) are mostly in the
"stock driver" or "modify at will" modes.   To categorize all Corvette
owners as having the same mentality is ludicrous (or maybe just laughable).

I hope the Corvair world rejects the NCRS "numbers matching" "options
matching" BS because it has sucked the fun out of Corvette ownership for me.
Sidebar: I've owned a mid-year Corvette off and on for the last 40 years,
concurrent with my Corvair ownership.  Now, thanks to the NCRS, no one
drives a mid-year much anymore and there's very little market for anything
that's not NCRS restored and factory stock.

Let's just have whatever is our own definition of fun with our cars and call
it a day! Woo Hoo!

Craig Nicol

65 Corvette Fuel Injection Roadster

66 Corvair Monza 140 EFI