<VV> "trailer queens" vs. drivers

Gary Swiatowy gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Fri Jan 1 15:47:36 EST 2010

Speaking as one who has run "All Makes" car shows for many years.
I have seen the ugly bitterness against those that bring trailers.
I have had people get in my face over the issue, because they feel they
won't have a chance competing against a car trailered into the show.
It doesn't matter if it's a brass era antique, a Pro Street Car, a Concours
showcar, or what. Once a competitor sees a trailer enter the show field,
they feel threatened.
I hate to say it, but the majority of the people coming to a show are trophy
hounds that will analize every detail of how the show is run and speak out
to the promotors, or if not to them, on the internet and to anyone who will
listen.
I have had people ask for their money back, and never gave them back one
cent on refunds either. I hate bad sportsmanship. It's supposed to be a fun
thing.
I've even had to have people removed from the showfield over various issues,
including arguing with club members.

Common sense does not matter, the big issue seems to be, "why can't we have
seperate classes for trailered cars". Simple answer, is there are only a
few, and we don't know what is coming, how do you set up classes. And we
would have to increase entry fees to cover all the extra
awards...........no-one likes that.

If entry is $12, I hear people tell me that this other show only charges
$10.

Then they cannot grasp why we simply ban trailered vehicles from the
show..........What, turn away paying customers?

Many have no clue the aggravation of running a show, and many have no idea
how they come off with the constant whining either..........

Gary Swiatowy