<VV> "drivers"

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Jan 3 13:16:48 EST 2010

At 02:57 PM 1/2/2010, Bill Hubbell wrote:
>Speaking of museum pieces, mine is coming home tomorrow (after 3
>months 600 miles away in the. Corvette museum).  I am so excited!  I
>can't wait to see my gal again!  If the weather is clear you can bet
>I will take her for a "Welcome Home" spin!!

...yesterday we took the Nantucket blue '67 coupe out in 19 degree
(which by nitefall dropped to below 15) windy weather to buzz around,
to the steak house and Office-Max and PC-Land etc for some
post-holiday computer stuff shopping...

Nothing special about the jaunt since the '67 coupe is driven every
day (as is the '60 4-door most times although it's not been driven
since Friday).     It's "inefficient" hot air heater (as described by
one so-called automotive authority) worked just fine keeping the
insides warm in spite of the numbing cold wind that made trips to and
from the parking lot into the stores a sobering experience.

One thing the cold did do was demonstrate that the starter solenoid
needs to be cleaned or lubed or something since it didn't wanna
engage fully a couple of times (happens now and again when temps drop
distressingly closer towards single digits) and one time when
coasting back down from its failed attempt to move the bendix gear up
to the flywheel the starter bushings "chattered" with a 'whoobble"
noise.   Something to attend to when its flywheel gets fixed come
warmer weather (slight rattle has become evident during idle of
late).    Need to hustle up and bolt up another flywheel sooner or
later since the last bolted flywheel I had went into the '62 ragtop recently.

It's always something...  ;)

That tends to happen with a 43 year old daily driver... and also a
now-50 year old daily driver which is gonna need a speedo cluster
repair seeing as how the pointer fell off and is now lying across the
odometer readout blocking my view.

Oh, did I mention the pinhole in the bottom of the tank...?  The ONLY
pinhole I missed a year or so ago when I spent an evening brazing the
entire bottom of the tank meticulously coating the majority of the
inside and outside of the bottom of the tank with brass, using up a
lot of the shop's available brazing rods in the process... and I
STILL missed one which became evident when I put fuel in the tank
after reassembling everything.    For the time being (then) it got a
sheet metal screw and Permatex since I'd run out of time and brazing
rods and the shop was in process of being decommissioned (landlord
was selling the building) so the space was rapidly becoming
unavailable etc.

Now, the screw is starting to weep fuel... tank bottom doesn't drip
but it's now staying damp with fuel and actually wet around the
screw, and after it sits overnight you can smell it if there's no
breeze.    ...need to fix that...

And, 1960 tanks aren't that easy to come by.   This one will get
fixed again.    Just another little inconvenience us cavemen have to
deal with.   Maybe yet another of those new year resolutions?   Then
again I said last year that I was gonna paint it...

tony..     pondering the fact that the 4-door made it to the
half-century mark and seems totally unconcerned about it