<VV> Corvairs in the Winter

Jack Kean jkean at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 9 12:29:04 EST 2010

We do struggle in those cases.

However, In most cases, for most drivers, it really does not matter what
part of the country you are in when you encounter glare ice. Unless you
have studded tires, or something similar, when you hit ice it's all a
matter of where the velocity vector is pointed and how fast you are
going. It was that way when I lived in Houston, Endwell (up state) New
York, and now in Arlington, Texas. It happens on any bridge around here
(whether its a high over pass, or a low bridge over a creek). The
approach to the bridge is dry. Then you go over a bridge that is iced
over. It's very exciting......

Another thing interesting thing in this part of the country, other than
what happens on overpasses if it does happen to rain before the
temperature drops below freezing, is when people or a business neglect
(notice I did not say forget) to turn off their lawn sprinkler systems.
Or some person (some would say some idiot) is out washing his driveway
(or his business) off using water. Talk about a disaster.  You can watch
one car after another slide out of control into the same spot of ice.
They will even ticket the land owner for negligence in cases like this.
But it almost always happens.

jack kean

still watching the temperature as it approaches 32. But it's sunny, and
the wind speed is around 0. I'll take it.