<VV> 66 LA production

hallgrenn at aol.com hallgrenn at aol.com
Mon Jan 11 14:55:12 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/11/2010 12:10:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
airvair at earthlink.net writes:

All cars  sold in California in '66, whether produced in LA or Willow Run,
with the  exception of turbos and a/c cars. I don't know offhand what the
production  for LA cars was, but all had an "L" for the 6th VIN digit
instead of a "W".  It's too bad the engine's gone, as that would have
tell-tale signs on it if  it was a smog engine, if nothing else than the
block  code.

A telltale sign could also be the original carb aircleaner crosspipe.   At
least for a time during the '66 model year for California the crosspipe had
two diverter valves--one on each side of the air cleaner--mounted on the
crosspipe--there were two flat "upsets" in the top of the crosspipe to mount
the  diverter valves.  I've seen two California '66s with the valves and one
 crosspipe with the "upsets" (bosses) that was never drilled to mount the
diverter valves.

Bob