<VV> The other woman

craig nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Tue Jan 12 12:46:17 EST 2010

Sam wrote:

"I got a early present for the New Year. I got a free 1960 Corvair Monza 900

 Club Coupe form a stranger. He said if you want it, come get it. The motor

is  frozen, front floor pans  and trunk pan rusted out, some other rust

spots.  It takes all my time and money to try and bring her back, so I named

her  La Otra Mujer (The Other Woman)  Any suggestions as to  where to start

will be greatly appreciated."

Craig replies:

Plan A:

1)       I'd locate a running used engine (Any 2-carb non-turbo Corvair
engine will fit with sheet metal exchange)

2)       I'd get the brakes up to safety.

3)       I'd have the fuel tank cleaned if necessary (60's are unique and
not reproduced that I know of)

At this point, you would have a running car for a minimal investment.

Next, I'd put in floorboards and carpet so the interior isn't a cave and
proceed with prepping the body for a low cost paint job in the original
color.

Plan B: (if you have trouble with motivation)

1)       Prep the body for a low cost paint job and get it painted first.
This sequence leaves you working on a nice car that just needs a little work
to get her running.

2)       Proceed with 1,2,3 above.

You may notice that I haven't recommended rebuilding the engine; here's why:
A good used engine will get you on the road for about $500 after you rebuild
its carburetors and give it a tune up. Rebuilding an engine often runs
$2500-$3000. If you decide you don't like this car, you can sell it as a
runner with the temporary engine and throw in the '60 engine core. If you
decide you do like this car, you can go ahead and rebuild the '60 engine and
sell the temporary engine for what you have in it.  Effectively, the temp
engine is a "zero-dollar" way to get the car going.

Craig Nicol