<VV> Engine building - bearing clearance

bobhelt at aol.com bobhelt at aol.com
Thu Jan 21 13:10:57 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/19/2010 9:07:36 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
corvair at mts.net writes:

I put  the block together with .001 U/S bearings in it. I mic the bearing
bore,  and I find I have .0006 clearance on #2 and #4, .0010 on #3, and
.0016 on  #1. So I take it apart, and put standard bearings in #2 and #4.
That  should give me .001 more clearance, because they are .001 larger,
right? I  measure, and now I have .0025 clearance...

So are .001 U/S bearings  actually .001 U/S EACH, so that a pair of them
take away .002 in  clearance?

Looks like what I need on #2 and #4 is a .001 on one side,  and a STD on
the other, to give me .001 more total clearance....  correct?

Thanks,

Les

Hi Les,
You said you mic'd the bearings. Why not use the plastigage recommended in
the shop manuals? Miking the bearings is difficult to do accurately. You
can  mike the crank journals OK, but the bearings????   And miking the main
bearing bores is also difficult to do accurately. They could be out of round
too.
 It's possible that you might get different readings due to different
torque on the long bolts (nuts that is) or shifting of the case halves.
Regards,
Bob Helt