<VV> Engine building - bearing clearance

corvair at mts.net corvair at mts.net
Thu Jan 21 15:55:36 EST 2010

I am measuring the inside of the bearing bore in a torqued block, using snap gauges and a micrometer.

I measure the crank, the journal is (for example, and from memory) 2.0985". I measure the corresponding bore with snap gauge (.001 shells installed), then mike the gauge, and get 2.0991".

So my clearance is .0006 - too small.

I want .0010 more clearance, so I substitute 2 STD shells instead of .001 shells.

Remeasure, and now the bore measures 2.1011 and clearance is .0026" (pretty big).

That's what makes me think that a single .001 shell takes away .001 clearance and a pair of them takes away .002.

It's confusing me. Assembling with plastigauge will assuage my concerns.

Les