<VV> Engine building - bearing clearance

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Jan 23 11:02:18 EST 2010

At 03:22 PM 1/22/2010, Chris & Bill Strickland wrote:
>As for align-honing Corvairs, it's only for racers and dedicated
>machinist types -- a replacement block is FAR less expensive in a
>Corvair.  Now in some cars, like Porsche, where each engine is serial
>number matched to a specific chassis,

US makers been doing this since the '60s.

>and there is therefore a greater
>desire to preserve or restore an original block (among some folks), yes,
>it is much more common.  "Numbers matching" are high dollar buzz words

...and an excuse to demand big number bucks for no good reason...

>these days, offering monetary incentive to do a bore alignment to save a
>block.

"Numbers-matching" on a restored '60s vintage performance car
generally means it's useless.

...knew of a guy a while ago who spent giant dollars to fix a Hemi
block out of a Challenger that had been a bracket racer for some
years, was being returned to stock via a serious
restoration...  since a 1970 Hemi Challenger was becoming a somewhat
desirable car and the guy predicted (correctly) that it could only go
up in value as time passed.

Original 426 engine (block still slowly rusting away in the previous
owner's basement) had tossed a rod at ~7500 rpm and taken out half of
the side of the crankcase and broke the starter off the engine,
taking the bottom dogleg off the block's bellhousing flange mount with it.

New owner of the car paid who-knows how much money for a foundry to
repair that demolished block and stipple the exterior to make it look
like a stock casting.   I recall it needed two sleeves as
well.    Saw it on an engine stand at my bud's shop going back
together... outside, except for the different colors of metal, (not
an issue once it was repainted) the block looked stone
stock.    Inside, it had welds from Hell and back.

The irony here is that the broken off pieces (which the original
owner also still had) that contained the Challenger's VIN had broken
across and through the number stampings and had been welded up in the
repair so much that the VIN had been obliterated... the owner ended
up restamping the numbers back onto the pan rail.

My buddy at the shop mumbled something about "...why the Hell he
didn't just go ahead and stamp numbers on another unbusted stock
block is beyond me."    This was back around the early1980s when a
good used Hemi block was still available for around 500-600 bucks if
you knew somebody.

I remember staring inside and outside that engine, mumbling "That's
dedication".

tony..