<VV> New owner turbo question

Larry Forman larry at forman.net
Sat Jan 23 20:31:06 EST 2010

Grant,
As was mentioned, first make darn sure he has a turbo.   I "think" you know
what one of those turbo carbs looks like. ;-)  Just tell him what to look
for, i.e. lots of chrome.   He could also check many of the Corvair web
sites for pictures of turbos versus others.

If so, most likely he has a leak in the exhaust.   That can be confirmed by
having him run the engine at idle, then with a large rag and gloves, have
him plug the exhaust pipe outlet.   If then engine dies, then he has a tight
exhaust.   If it keeps running like nothing happened (my bet) then he has a
rusted out exhaust cross-over.   Very common for the turbos.

Larry Forman