<VV> CRANkCASE PARTS

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 12:26:55 EST 2010

Tony; If you have current running engines that otherwise have no urgent
issues, you may want to look at oil pump wear. All the oil goes thru there
and they do wear. Try tightening up the clearances there. If the gears are
scratched up, replace them. If there are deep gouges in the housing, replace
it. The cover can be polished smooth by using emery paper and water on a
perfectly flat spot (I used my granite counter top when my wife wasn't home)

Another option would be to add a higher volume pump to the engine. I also
added the longer pressure relief spring to mine to keep pressure higher
overall. Of course, if you have a confirmed flow issue, a heavier duty
spring won't raise pressure until a pump capable of exceeding the needed
flow is installed and adjusted correctly. That would be an easy and
relatively cheap way to troubleshhot the problem as well. Add the higher
pressure spring, if the low oil pressure problem quits, it was just a weak
spring.

Also, just using a heavier weight oil may do the trick for you.
I use a 5W 40 full synthetic that flows quick on start up but still is a
full bodied oil to provide maximum protection when warmed up.

Also, the amount of surface area there versus the main and rod bearings
where flow is very high, is exponentially small, I'd be more concerned about
rod and main bearing wear before case/cam wear.

regards
Mark Durham