<VV> Frustration with Clark's Corvair

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Tue Jan 26 17:02:17 EST 2010

Hello Carl,

I am sorry to say that, yes, you are expecting too much from Clark's or any
other supplier under these circumstances.

In this case, you are correct that Clark's sells mostly stock items.  I
seriously doubt that they make these carpets in their back room.  They probably
work with a particular carpet supplier to develop the tooling needed to
make a quantity of carpets for them in a production run at a reasonable cost.
The huge number (effectively all) of the carpets will eventually go to left
hand drive cars.  To get a reasonable price, Clark's buys a quantity of
these items and puts them on the shelf.  The carpet guy buys the proper carpet
material, places numerous layers on the cutting machine which is likely
programmed for the specific variety of carpets and cuts them out.  The cutter
probably cuts or punches out the holes, etc. on the left side at the same time
that the carpet profile is cut.  To make one carpet for you, the carpet guy
will need to reprogram the machine and make a production run of one piece.
I am not sure but if there are minor differences from right to left other
than the vinyl heel guard, the molds may need to be modified as well.  This
would probably cost thousands of dollars and you would be complaining about
the price rather than lack of Clark's flexibility.

I think that Clark's as well as all of our cherished vendors do a pretty
good job addressing our needs but at the end of the day, they are businesses
who must make decisions on what they can and cannot do to service their
customer base.  To try to be all things for all potential customers would likely
lead to bankruptcy and we would lose suppliers.

Good luck with the needed modifications for your carpet.

Doc
1960 Corvette; 1961 Rampside; 1962 Rampside; 1964 Spyder coupe; 1965
Greenbrier; 1966 Corsa turbo coupe; 1967 Nova SS; 1968 Camaro ragtop
In a message dated 1/26/2010 1:26:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,