<VV> Unique fan belt keeper-oner

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Wed Jan 27 23:46:04 EST 2010

At 10:28 AM 1/27/2010, Bruce Schug wrote:
>Look at the photo of the engine. See the unique device that appears to
>be some type of roller that acts like an idler to keep the belt on?
>Pretty interesting.
>
>http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=KC1209-87648&entryRow=394

Maybe not so unique...

It's an idler pulley assembly with the bottom half sliced off and the
business end welded to a plate.   The "roller" is a bare idler pulley
bearing, sans pulley.   The rationale behind it is intriguing
although the engineering isn't; that little pulley bearing is gonna
be spinning at around 40,000 rpm if the car's engine gets revved up
tight.   I'm wondering how long it's gonna last if it gets buzzed up
like that often.

Still a handy idea.   Fabricate a 3" diameter drum of some sorts from
the original pulley and lay it on the belt if you're gonna do this,
better chance it's gonna stay together.   Or, go junkyarding for one
of those cute little spring-loaded serpentine belt idler pulleys you
see on almost everything.   Fabricate a mount/plate like this guy did
and go on down the road.

tony..