<VV> Unique fan belt keeper-oner

Larry Forman larry at forman.net
Thu Jan 28 14:25:55 EST 2010

Sorry about the earlier empty posting.   I used the wrong e-mail server and
that is the result.

Here is what I intended to say:

Like all things Corvair, the correct answer is in the details.

Here are some ideas that I use to have flawless Corvair fanbelt operation:

1. Make sure the geometry is correct.   If the idler pulley is too far in or
out, the belt will want to fly off.

2. This is normally an issue if an incorrect belt is used.  If it sits too
high in the groove the geometry will be off.   So I ALWAYS use a Gates
Insustrial belt: 3VX560.   This is a correct wrapped 3/8 inch belt with
cogs.   It is not an automotive belt and is available at industrial supply
houses.  It DOES work extremely well for many thousands of miles.  I hve
gone 38,000 miles on one belt without incident.   I changed that belt as it
was getting some cracks in it.

3. Make sure the pullyes have no rust on them or any imperfections that
might tend to grab the belt and throw it out of the groove.

4. TIGHTEN the belt properly.   If it is too tight, they seem to want to fly
off.   Counterintuitive, but get over it.   Tighten the belt so you can
rotate the generator or alternator fan with ONE finger.   In other words,
make it slightly loose when cold.   The engine tends to make the belt
tighter as it heats up.

5. Use the belt retainer on top of the fan cover to help keep the belt in
place.

If you do these, you most likely will see no belt loss or flipping.  I have
helped other Corvair owners who have had belt issues and all of them have
had 100 % success with belts once they did these.   Some have started
calling the Gates belts "Forman's magic belt".   But the idea is hardly
mine, I just try to spread around the gospel.

Larry Forman