<VV> Accel Coil and warranty failures

Larry Forman larry at forman.net
Sat Jan 30 14:59:31 EST 2010

Humm, I am running the big yellow Accel coil in the UltraVan, but it is
powered by a rear mounted Toronado power plant.  It runs great, but I have
mounted a spare Flamethrower I coil beside it as a backup, just in case.   I
don't want to worry that a failure of the original Accel coil will leave me
stranded somewhere.  It is significantly better than the Flamethrower in how
well the 455 starts, FWIW.

Your failures remind me of my theory of product reliability.   Whenever some
sales person tries to convince me to purchase the extra cost warranty, I
explain, "I plan on 'self-insuring' the reliability of this product.   If it
fails anytime within MY lifetime, there is NO reason I would even consider
obtaining a replacement of a product that is SO unreliable, because it
failed MY lifetime warranty.   What is VERY IMPORTANT is for YOU to realize
that if that ever happens, then you and your company have lost a customer
FOR LIFE!  Depending upon the products or service, that might be tens of
thousands of dollars of lost sales.    And I am not alone in this thinking,
but you might not hear many people explain it so directly.   So your
company, its reputation, and perhaps even your own job is resting on the
reliability of this product and your other products for your many customers.
My lifetime warranty trumps your extra cost warranty!"

They usually have nothing to say about the extra cost warranty after that.

Larry Forman