<VV> Weird carb problem

Daniel Monasterio dmonasterio at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 30 20:32:07 EST 2010

  While tuning my 64 GB 110 PG engine (recent rebuilt), I tried to be very carefull on rebuilding a good pair of 68-69 carbs (64s were too rich at 2500-4000 rpm, even with 48s jets) making a good cleaning, checking all parts, making precise adjustments with float levels at 1.125", # 50 main jets (5,000 ft altitude), both venturies matched and perfectly cleaned, new gaskets, new fuel inlet valves, etc.

  Results: Excelent idling at 14.2 AFR with very low HC and CO exhaust emissions, on both carbs, but, at high rpm (2,000 and up), while the right carb performed real fine, the left bank (dual exhaust) showed high CO emissions. On a visual checking (no air filters) found some driping from the left venturi at over 2,000 rpm.

  Removed both carb tops and checked gas level from top and, it was equal (+/- 0.700") on both carbs. Lowered the left float to 1.180", just to see for any change but, the venturi  continued dripping at high rpm, showing a very low decrease on CO emissions (6.4 to 5.8 %). As a reference, the right bank exhaust shows 2.1 % CO. Both venturies are 0.024" idle jet, 0.045" main well air bleed, and 0.075" idle air bleed.

  Other info: 110 engine std. bore, Pertronix I ignition, new Seth wires, 4 psi fuel pressure, viton tipped fuel inlet valves, new 7503 (W8BC) Bosch plugs (slightly hotter than W8AC). Both floats are ok, no leaks and have same weight at 21 grams.

What could I missed ?.... Help !!!

Daniel Monasterio