<VV> Engine building: extra holes under oil pan?

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Sun Jan 31 14:31:14 EST 2010

Thanks to Dave Newell's excellent Communique article that detailed the
engine's line-production, we can see that the first stage of engine assembly
was done with this case-half laid on it's side, while attached to a bracket
that was mounted to the engine assembly line. These holes held the case-
half to the bracket as it moved between assembly stations.

Once the case half was fully loaded with the crank and cam, the other side
of the case was added and everything torqued up. The production bracket
had a hinge in it, so that the assembled case halves could then be rotated
90 degrees, to horizontal, for the rest of the engine assembly to proceed.

A hinging assembly bracket, such as the one used in production would
actually be very useful, even these days, to aid in bench assembly,
since the crankcase cannot be mounted on a regular engine stand until
the bellhousing is in place.

Mel