<VV> need advice re: leaky gas tank

Robert K. Henry robertkhenry at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 1 07:43:48 EDT 2010

I replaced two or three tanks in the car that is now is now my Corvair. The
last time I sloshed the replacement tank with some stuff from Clark's before
putting it in and have had no more problems so far. Corvair tanks seem more
susceptible to rust than the flatter steel tanks in most other cars,
probably because any water precipitating out of the fuel ends up
concentrated on that one small section of metal at the bottom. If the tank
is leaking from a pinhole you can be certain that more pinholes are getting
ready to open up nearby. Replacement is the only long-term option. I once
had temporary success with epoxying a brass patch over the holes in one
tank. Considering that draining the tank is at least half the job of
replacing it, once you have the tank empty you may as well go the whole way
and pull the tank and replace it. That offers an opportunity to
inspect/repair/replace other components in the area that might also need
attention.

Almost as annoying as holes in tanks is repeated replacement of the Turbo
"T" fuel return. Since I sloshed that last tank, I've still had to pull it
several more times to replace the rubber "T". An honored VVer here suggested
an alternate source for the part and so far the new part is holding.

Robert Henry
Knoxville, TN
'65 Corsa Turbo Convertible