<VV> best timing setting for a 140/4 with a 280 cam?

Ray R. (aka Grymm) vairguy at echoes.net
Sun Jul 4 09:10:54 EDT 2010

Hey folks,

Played with my timing yesterday.  This engine has the rear cover (turbo?) with the riveted timing plate that goes up to 21 or 24 or so..

It's a 140 with most of the "step" machined out of the heads, forged rods and pistons, and a 280 Isky cam.  I can advance the timing all the way to the last mark (looks like 24 but I read the plate should only go up to 20?  Maybe its a custom riveted on plate?) and not get any pinging.

This is a street car but I'm looking for max power without totally killing my gas mileage etc. as I put a lot of miles on it.  Where do you think I should set my timing considering the 280 Cam and the fact that the car is a driver for best performance?

PS- this car also has an ignitor2 and flamethrower coil

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA
CORSA member
66' Corsa 140/4 coupe
65' Corsa 140/4 coupe (under construction and almost done!)
63' Monza PG coupe (under construction- quickie driver build)