<VV> recoloring faded seats

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 7 01:30:31 EDT 2010

Well, the guy that helped (showed) me what to do is a buddy and owns (with
his brothers) a string of upholstery shops - so I'm probably getting the
"buddy" price.  In this case there was no charge at all.  So, understand
that free advise is worth what you paid for it.

Anyway, it was a dozen+ years ago and I'm OLD now!  As I recall - seats out
of the car and backs removed from bottoms.  Clean absolutely EVERYTHING as
best you can first.  Side panels (chrome and painted) of seats removed.

We used vinyl paint of the appropriate color - thinned at about 50% (can't
say for certain on that).

Once the seats were clean to our satisfaction, we did one "section" at a
time - like one bucket, then the other, then one back, then the other, then
the back of the backs - etc.

I forget what thinner we were using in the paint (might not be legal now
anyway) , but whatever it was - the first step was a thin mist of thinner
ONLY on the section to receive paint.  Wait for the vinyl to "soften" and be
"acceptable" (tacky?) to receive the paint (something less than 5 minutes) -
probably 2 to 3 minutes.  Then spray (a very light coat) to the vinyl.  A
second (thin) quick coat is OK if needed and done while the first coat is
still tacky.  Give it 2 or 3 days before you sit on it.  I never had the
"rub off" experience that you described.

I drove that car about 20,000 in a 2 to 3 year period.  I could have done
another "touch up" at the 2 1/2 yr mark, but opted to order from Cal at that
point.

That was the Danube Blue '65 Vert which ended up in England - driving on the
"wrong" side of the road.

So, Ray - to finally answer your question...  I have no clue as to what it
might cost to have a pro do it for you.  I'd guess that it would be over
$250 and under $500.  How long do you need it too be "nice" and what is your
budget?

PS - my estimates may be in pre-2000 $$$.

Later, JR
CCE CORSA CORVANANTICS SCG member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140