<VV> Ball Joint Removal

Byron Comp byron.comp at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 7 05:24:53 EDT 2010

Hi All,

Well, the advice from a tech (Don, I think) from Clarkl's was a little different
than others and was "spot on."  As he suggested, I first ground the top of the
rivet off down flush with the top plate of the ball joint itself, then used a
1/4" drill bit to drill through the rivet far enough to get below the bottom
plate.  At that point using a chisel it was "relatively" easy to pry the ball
joint off the rivets and out of the arm.  At that point the rivets could be
knocked out of the arm using a center punch.  I then used graduated drill bits
ending with a 5/16" to drill through the arm itself, since that's what he said
the bolts sold with their replacement ball joint will require.

I've provided this much detail in case somebody else has to do it for the first
time.  The shop manual was rather sketchy about the whole procedure.  Thanks to
Harry, Mike and Bryan, along with several others who responded.

Byron

Message: 8