<VV> Ignition : Porsche vs. Corvair firing order ?

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Wed Jul 7 20:50:31 EDT 2010

OK, but it seems that using "1, 6, 2, 4, 3, 5" the "6, 2" and "3, 5" are consecutive on the same side of the engine ?

Am I missing something ?  (Cylinders are numbered the same, right ?)

Charlie

----- Original Message -----
  From: jvhroberts at aol.com
  To: Chaz at ProperProper.com
  Cc: virtualvairs at corvair.org
  Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 5:36 PM
  Subject: Re: <VV> Ignition : Porsche vs. Corvair firing order

  Actually, untrue. Both engines fire the same way, except one may be backwards from the other.

  Both engine fire left-right-left-right-left-right.
  Both engines fire up (or down) each bank.
  Both engines fire opposing cylinders 180 degrees apart on the distributor.

  As I said, there are only two possible firing orders for flat 6s, and one is the reverse of the other. The fact that these engines have 4 corner cylinders and only 2 center cylinders doesn't really enter into it. These are both even firing inline 3 cylinder engines out of phase by 60 degrees distributor rotation.

  Any other firing order or crankpin arrangement makes for one rough running sumbitch! Ask Buick about their early V6s!

  John Roberts