<VV> Adjustment of Accelerator Pump Linkage

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Sat Jul 10 12:26:06 EDT 2010

I'm looking to increase the amount of "squirt" from my carbs. To do  so,
before enlarging the pump orifices in the carb throat, I'd like to  first try
an accelerator pump linkage adjustment. To increase the pump stroke,  should
I INCREASE the bend in the pump linkage? The linkage is presently set to
the index mark. For those who care why I may want to get more accelerator
pump  delivery, read further, below. Otherwise, can someone confirm my
supposition as to which way to bend the pump linkage for increased raw  fuel
delivery... Thanks!

My 67 110, PG tends to tip lean when accelerating quickly from an  idle.
Consequently, there is a momentarily lag in acceleration. There is NO  lag
when acceleration is gradual, and engine is allowed to pass the "just off"
idle point prior to getting into the gas. To preface this conversation 1): I am
 certain the lag is due to a lean condition, as the vehicle is equipped
with  broadband O2 sensors (one each bank), reading to cabin mounted digital
gages...  the reading goes, momentarily, to 17;1 AF ratio, before settling
back to normal  range (14 to 15:1). And 2) this is not a tuning or timing
issue... the engine is modified to a tight quench distance, which  permits
plenty of initial timing (18-degrees BTDC, and the car is "zippy,  other than the
lean tip), and, 2) the carburetors are in good condition and  the
accelerator pumps are providing a good stream of raw fuel when called  upon to do so.

Mike Mauro
67 110 PG, Factory Air Coupe