<VV> Su-ba-ru-ba

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Sun Jul 11 22:26:13 EDT 2010

Warren:  Am I the only one who thinks if the Corvair was still in production
today in the original configuration, I would have something akin to a Subaru
in the back end.

Has anybody tried to put a Su-ba-ru-ba into a Corvair, much like the BOP V-8
conversions of many years ago.  I wonder which way the engine rotates if the
entire drive train was rotated 180 degs and plopped in the LM Vair's engine
compartment.  Hummm....400 hp from a physically smaller (and lighter?)
engine....  I bet John Roberts knows.

Heretically Yours,
			James

PS to Mark:  While John Fitch is indeed a man of style and a true gentleman,
among many other fine qualities, he copied the LM Sprint roof line from the
Porsche 904.  Which actually was the last race car he and Briggs Cunningham
drove.  Think it was Sebring in '65 or '66.  I'm to lazy to get the book out
and look it up tonight.  Both Porsche and Ferrari were dealing with
visibility and air flow issues with mid-engine GT-type cars.  Both came up
near concurrently with approximately the same answer in the 904 and the
250LM.  Porsche probably hit it first with the 718 series of flat 8 cyl race
cars in the eary 60's.  Again, I'm to lazy to look it up, even when the
books are only two steps away.

Message: 8