<VV> New Engine Rebuild

Mike Dix corvairnuts at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 12 14:38:21 EDT 2010

Hello ALL...

Looking for any advice. I am completely rebuilding a 95 HP 164 CID. I have regasketed corvair engines before and done some minor repairs internally. I am a good mechanic and have the tools. I am looking for any advice on what to be cautious about and extras steps to take with a complete rebuild. Crank and heads are being redone by a local speedshop. I am planning on ordering a 260 Isky cam with new lifters and gear. I have yet to get cylinders, pistons and rings. The cylinders are straight forward but what about pistons and rings. Do I go for regular cast pistons, forged pistons or what? Do I go for cast rings, chrome rings or moly rings? I have read alot about cylinder finish when it comes to certain type of rings. Thanks for any advice and I am sure I am going to have more questions.