<VV> It don't get no better

Louis Armer carmerjr at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 12 20:13:40 EDT 2010

      On this last Saturday we toured the North Georgia mountains
with the ChooChoo Corvair club from Yes you guessed it
Chattanooga TN. Melvin and the ChooChoo gang had organized a moving
event where we visited 3 Chevy dealerships.
They were located in Blairsville, Blue Ridge and Canton, GA.. There
were 12 Corvairs involved including early convertibles, my "da Brier"
(1964 Greenbrier), Melvin's Ultra Van, late convertibles, coupes and
a Sports Sedan. From Corvair Atlanta, myself, CA Prez, Dan Terry, and
Tony and Judy Kruzich joined the tour.
      I left the house shortly after 7 am to meet at the first Chevy
dealership in Blairsville which is north central in the mountains and
very close to the TN border. Part of the route I took carried me over
elevations of 3300+ feet and part of the cruise route I used to lead
for the Springfest cruise from Helen, GA.. We had a weak cool front
push through the state during the night hours and it was overcast and
gray for the first 2/3 of my trip and the further north I traveled
the temps continued to drop. Once I really got into the mountains it
was awesome Corvair driving weather with cool damp air and a definite
fall feel to the day. As I approached the 3000
foot level I came around a curve to find da Brier surrounded by fog
but suddenly realized that the fog was moving and actually I was
driving in, through and above the low hanging clouds.
      The cyclists were out in various sized packs but in general I
was often all alone on the twisty curvy roads and It was a great
drive  all the way into Blairsville. When I arrived I was the last to
join the caravan as the Choo Choo gang had arrived from Chatsworth, GA
and Dan and Tony had caravaned from Woodstock, GA.. We stayed at the
dealership and socialized and kicked tires and lamented at the cookie
cutter styles of all the new cars available before heading to our
next stop in Blue Ridge GA.. Once again we poured into the main
entrance of our second Chevy dealership with 12 proud Corvair
vehicles and of course the 12th one being our trail vehicle which is
the Ultra Van that Melvin describes as being "Under Construction".
:-) We ended our tour in Canton, GA. where we were greeted with open
arms by the third staff of Chevy guys who offered up a brand new
Denali Surburban for our shuttle vehicle to the various fast food
restaurants located nearby. It was a great Saturday with good friends
and lots of Corvairs. "It don't get no better".
  Chuck Armer and daBrier

CORSA Member
Corvanatics Member
Corvair Atlanta Director