<VV> Engine Compartment Color & Blow Thru Turbo Questions...

NICK GIER gier.1 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Tue Jul 13 07:13:54 EDT 2010

Hey all,

I'm currently in the process of installing the original turbo engine back into my 63 Spyder (it had a 140 motor in it). While I have the engine out I wanted to clean up and paint the engine compartment. I was wondering if all Corvairs had black paint in the engine compartment or if it was body colored or did it vary? Also I'm planning on trying to duplicate Dave Binnie's blow-through turbo setup. I've got a set of 61? Carbs (they have the manual chokes on them) that I plan on using. I need to replace the throttle shafts because they have worn out to a point where gas leaks out through the shaft. I've emailed Dave and apparently all you need to do is reinforce the floats and the carbs are pretty much ready to go. Other things that I'd need would be a wastegate, blow off valve, and a fuel pump & regulator referenced to boost pressure. I was wondering if anyone else has done this or had any experience with this setup? If so, do you have any tips or suggestions? Thanks for any help as always.

- Nick Gier
63 Spyder
65 Monza