<VV> Old refrigerator (was: A/C For 69 Corvair)

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Tue Jul 13 15:12:06 EDT 2010

(No Corvair content in this message, so delete now)

corvairduval at cox.net wrote:
> Step 1. Find old refrigerator in alley or dump with good compressor...

To find an old refrigerator with a good compressor, all I need to do is
look in my basement.

In 1978, I bought my first house after years of renting.  The house
needed new appliances and I was -- surprise! -- cheap.  So I bought the
least-expensive refrigerator that the local appliance store had to
offer.  (This was before the Big-Box stores took over the world).

When that refrigerator was 18 years old, we moved, and it was relegated
to the basement of the new house and a new refrigerator took its place
in the kitchen.

At age 27, that first refrigerator moved with us again, to its third
house and second basement.  Today, some 32 years after it was purchased,
that refrigerator continues to keep food fresh and ice cubes frozen.

I suspect that, even though it sported an "Energy-Saving" label when it
was new, this old refrigerator is an energy hog.  I'd probably save
considerably on my electric bill if I replaced it.  But I've grown
attached to it.  I cannot bring myself to put in the landfill an
appliance that continues to work perfectly at age 32.  I suppose I could
list it on Freecycle.  But I'll just keep it for now.

Someday it will likely fail.  At that time, I will probably have a small
ceremony in the back yard.  Might play "Taps."

--Bob Marlow