<VV> New Engine Rebuild

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 20:57:24 EDT 2010

I echo Bruces comments. However, If you are going to keep it stock, then std
cast pistons and cast rings will do you just fine. Its when you want to
produce more hp out of it that you should think of chrome or moly rings
because Moly and Chrome do better in higher heat situations. Cast rings will
seat faster with little fuss and will last well past 100K miles with little
trouble. Its what the factory put in your engine.

Also, if the cylinders are not pitted or have other problems and still mike
out standard, you can hone those barrels and put in new pistons and rings
and keep on going.  I know, because my first Corvair overhaul was at about
80K miles, and that is all mine needed. I even reused the pistons, but that
was back in 1970's. I sold the car about 90K miles later and it was still
running strong.

Otherwise, if you need to replace them, Clarks offers some pretty reasonable
piston/ring/cyl sets. You just send them the rods and they will assemble the
pistons and send you everything back.

You can spend lots of money on stuff here, but in a 95 HP engine, most of it
will provide you with no more performance or reliability. When I overhaul I
will consider Clarks 2nds, the cyls that have been topped by .010. Cheaper
to buy, and will help out your engine by a tad bit if you keep to the std
cyl gaskets.

What made you decide on the Isky cam?

regards  Mark Durham