<VV> JOE POTTS windshield install

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Jul 14 00:03:50 EDT 2010

I didn't read Mechanic on Duty (not a subscriber), but I can tell you it
is proper to only use two rubber blocks on a late model windshield, and
they go at the bottom to keep the glass from sliding down due to the
force of gravity. They do not have anything to do with the spacing of
the glass to the pinchweld. That spacing is all determined by the
thickness of the butyl rubber or urethane, depending on what method the
shop used.

The rubber blocks are a standard size, and must be cut for certain
installations. You can tell if the size is correct, as the glass will be
centered in the opening. Check this before applying butyl tape or
urethane. If not, it will be a mess! ggg

The thickness of the butyl tape on a late model windshield varies
between 5/16 and 3/8" depending on the glass thickness. Yes, it varies.
Measure, measure, measure,     then guess.

BTW this goes for most butyl tape mounted glass, not just late model
windshields.

Frank DuVal
many successful glass installations

and a few I want to forget...   gggg