<VV> Fw: Su-ba-ru-ba/marine engines

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Wed Jul 14 17:26:08 EDT 2010

 It's not the single engines that run backwards, it's one of the engines on a twin engine setup, I can't remember which one, and it may not matter which side gets the backwards engine, but it might.

And it's not just Mercury Marine, EVERYONE who sells inboard engines derived from auto engines offers left/right, except Volvo Penta, which has a slick way of doing it in the gearbox. In fact, on them, you can make a left engine a right engine or vice versa by a simple linkage swap! But most others do it by reversing the engine, but this is dying out. Nearly all of today's I/Os, at least on the larger horsepower models, also do the Volvo trick.

But for single engine installs, the engines turn the way the auto factory designed them

John Roberts