<VV> Paint Strategies

BBRT chsadek at comcast.net
Mon Jul 26 09:48:29 EDT 2010

I have an opinion.  I never worried about scraping anything putting and
engine or drive train back in, as there isn't much to hit. I guess you could
hit the frame rails but? Frankly, I really think if you are worried about
hitting the body, someone is being pretty darn careless.
If you paint engine compartment first and then put engine you do have to
tape off everything inside so that overspray doesn't get on your wiring and
engine plus sheet metal, seals, etc. At least cover the engine compartment.
I would prefer painting engine compartment first, yes, then install
drivetrain and properly - not body shop production work - but everything
under the car gets taped off so the suspension, shift linkage cables, fuel
lines, etc. don't get all the overspray on it all and then paint. This
assumes when you do the engine compartment, you are also doing fenderwells,
underside, all door edges, door jams, drip rails where weather-stripping
goes etc. prior to outer body coat.
If doing all of that isn't important to you, then frankly, why worry about
the engine (and assorted parts associated with it) bay?

Chuck S
BBRT