<VV> Overheating - Deflashing Heads

Louis Armer carmerjr at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 26 16:33:27 EDT 2010

Hi Bill, If you have never deflashed Corvair heads then DON'T use the
drill as one mistake can cause you to damage the head you are trying
to improve. Use an old fashioned hack saw blade.........buy several
at least 12" long and wrap one end with electrical or duct tape to
form a protective handle. On the other end shape the saw blade end
into a fairly sharp angled pointed end. Now you have a reliable
inexpensive flash removing tool. You will need to work from top and
bottom to achieve the best flash removal. While you have the shrouds
removed check your oil cooler for trash and dirt. Patience is a
virtue in flash removal so take your time and the results will be
rewarding and remarkable in lowering the head temps. 69 heads had a
lot of flash in most cases as the dies/molds were getting old and
excessive flash is not unusual and dramatically restricts air flow.

Chuck Armer

CORSA Member
Corvanatics Member
Corvair Atlanta Director