<VV> Overheating - Deflashing Heads

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 27 00:27:16 EDT 2010

No man, just open the engine lid and look just below the alternator (lower
left corner of the top cover).  The "hatch" there is for access to clean off
the top of the oil cooler.  Now look closer to your left knee (well, not
THAT close), the "hatch" there (might or might not have the cover in place)
is the summer/winter plate (cover if you prefer).  If it is not in place,
you are looking at a hole about 2X3 inches or so.  You need to cover it up
because it is letting hot air from the exhaust manifold enter the upper part
of the engine compartment where it gets sucked back down by the fan to
(supposedly) "cool" the engine.  That cover should be in place all the time
for a car which is only driven in warm weather.

If you don't have a chassis manual, go on line to Corvair Underground or
Clark's and look for the summer/winter plate in their respective catalogs.

Let me ask you this....  Is there a rubber perimeter seal (kind of like a 4
inch tall gasket) all the way around the engine compartment - between the
top side of the engine shrouding and the body of the car?  If not, that is
your heat problem (well at least a goodly part of it anyway).

Later, JR

CCE CORSA CORVANANTICS SCG member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140