<VV> brakes

ray smith turbovair at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 28 13:25:16 EDT 2010

Could be a plugged passage in the master cylinder.

I had a similar situation years go. Drove a Corvair with the same symptoms as yours. I figured the high effort was due to manual brakes and the marginal braking was just from drums.
 Well one day I had to make a panic stop and after initial application the pedal dropped another inch. Seemed like I just switched to power brakes and discs !! :)

Ray Smith