<VV> Hard Pedal, poor brakes.

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Jul 29 10:10:22 EDT 2010

I will also chime in that stuck pistons are #1 for hard brake pedal. And
many times it is not noticeable that the brakes have diminished capacity.

Also, there is nothing wrong with flaring brake tubing and installing an
inverted flare coupling. I cannot condone using a compression type
coupling, it is against state inspection rules here, and have been known to
fail, although probably just due to improper installation. Whereas a flare
fitting improperly installed will weep, a compression fitting improperly
installed can blow the lines apart, at the worst possible time...

No need to reply Tony, I will assume you used a flared coupling! ggg

The other failure of brake hoses is the "check valve" effect. I've seen
this too often in Corvairs. The brakes work fine for a few stops, and then
one wheel locks up even with your foot off the brake pedal. The hose to
that wheel will not allow the fluid to return to the master cylinder when
your foot is off the brake.

Frank DuVal