<VV> Corvair Value

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Tue Jun 1 11:38:54 EDT 2010

Because I am the president of my local club, I get a number of inquiries
from "civilians" who want to sell a Corvair and/or want to know what a
particular Corvair is worth.

I hate estimating the value of any Corvair on my own, so I always try to
obtain a cross-section of opinions.

Today's inquiry concerns a 1966 Monza coupe, Powerglide, engine not
known but since it is a 1966 Monza coupe with a Powerglide we can all
safely assume that it is a 110-hp car.   If it proves to be a 95-hp, I
don't think that has any bearing on value, and if it proves to be a
140-hp it will only impact the value if the engine is in good shape,
which we do not know.

The car is a non-runner, having been parked for many years.  The owner
is now deceased and the estate is being liquidated.

This is a New Jersey car, a state that uses salt on its roads, but from
the photos I have been provided this body looks much better than
average.  No rust is visible in the usual places, and no apparent rust
repair is visible either.  I have no knowledge of the condition of the
floors, trunk, or undercarriage.

The body is several different colors, but it is straight and
Corvair-shaped.  The brightwork is no longer bright but likely will
respond to a good cleaning.

The interior is hideous.  Split upholstery, missing door panels, wrinkle
paint flaking off the dash, dingy non-Corvair carpet.

I have no idea how to post the pictures here but if someone gives me a
quick tutorial I can add them.

Okay -- located in norther New Jersey, not far outside of New York City,
what should the seller accept?

--Bob Marlow