<VV> Drip Drip on our feet

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Wed Jun 2 01:07:54 EDT 2010

At 09:11 AM 6/1/2010, John Kepler wrote:
>Rust holes in the bulkhead under the air-grill by the windshield.  You can
>get some of them from the top....others require being a contortionist under
>the dash

It's also a good place to paint on some rustproofing under the dash
and then shoot it with water resistant foam.    BTDT with the '65
ragtop after replacing the long strip of sheet metal ahead of the
windshield (which never fits right).    It's a popular rust location
and never easily repaired if it's serious enough to drip water on you.

Don't forget rust holes in the windshield channel under the stainless trim.

...did I ever tell the story about the preacher's '65 4-door Monza
that Dallas Mangus bought for parts cuz it failed a safety inspection
and the preacher "didn't wanna mess with it anymore"?   You know, the
one with the plywood floors and windshield channel SO rusted that
when it rained, water dribbled from the TOP of the windshield along
the headliner onto the dash.

Of course you weren't bothered by that as much as you were bothered
when you applied the brakes firmly and the plywood floor boards would
warp under your feet and a visible gap would form between the top of
the windshield and the roof because the car was flexing
severely.   Oddly enough, from 20 feet the car didn't look bad.

We removed the windshield without cutting away any tar rope... after
we removed the stainless trim held in place with silicone sealer, we
simply lifted it out, surprised it hadn't simply blown out on the
highways and this car saw interstate driving.   The glass still had
tar rope and parts of the rusted away channel stuck to it as we
lifted it out of the car.

I'm not kidding.

...the front crossmember was so rusty it had holes big enough to
stick three fingers through them.    And the old fellow was driving
it daily.

tony..